Spanakopita may also be created using other vegetables, for example dandelion or chard, instead of green spinach. You should use 1 lb. frozen chopped green spinach rather of fresh. Thaw the green spinach overnight or perhaps in a colander under warm flowing water. Squeeze the liquid and skip the pan-wilting step.
- 2 lb. fresh green spinach, washed, dried, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp .. extra-virgin essential olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions (about 3 oz. or 10 small), white-colored and lightweight-eco-friendly parts only, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Greek kefalotyri cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 large eggs, gently beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon. freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher or fine ocean salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin essential olive oil for brushing more when needed
- 18 914-inch sheets frozen phyllo dough (I personally use Athens brand), thawed and also at 70 degrees
- 2 teaspoon. dairy
- Calories (kcal) : 400
- Fat Calories (kcal): 240
- Fat (g): 27
- Saturated Fats (g): 9
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2.5
- Monounsaturated Fat (g): 14
- Cholesterol (mg): 90
- Sodium (mg): 790
- Carbohydrates (g): 28
- Fiber (g): 3
- Protein (g): 13
- Position a rack in the heart of the oven as well as heat the oven to 375°F.
Wipe the pan dry having a paper towel. Heat the oil within the pan over medium heat. Add some scallions and prepare until soft and aromatic, about 4 minutes. Stir within the green spinach, switch off heat, and let awesome for 5-10 minutes. Then stir within the cheeses, eggs, dill, parsley, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon. salt and blend completely.
Assemble the cake: Having a pastry brush, gently coat the underside and sides of the 9x13x2-inch baking pan with a few of the oil. Working rapidly, gently oil one for reds of the phyllo sheet and lay it within the pan oiled side up and off center in order that it partly covers the underside and reaches midway up one lengthy side from the pan (the advantage at the base from the pan is going to be about 1 " in the side). Gently oil the top of the another phyllo sheet and lay it oiled side up and off center therefore it reaches midway in the other lengthy side from the pan. (In case your pan has sloped sides, the sheets might be slightly more than the foot of the pan if that's the case, allow the excess increase one short side from the pan after which alternate with subsequent sheets.) Continue doing this pattern with 4 more phyllo sheets.
Next, gently oil the tops of three phyllo sheets and layer them oiled side up and centered within the pan. Spread the filling evenly during the last layer.
Repeat the oiling and layering from the remaining 9 phyllo sheets within the filling in the same manner you layered the prior 9. Using the oiled bristles from the pastry brush, push the perimeters from the phyllo lower round the sides from the pan to surround the filling completely.
Having a sharp knife, score the very best phyllo layer into 24 rectangles, fostering to not cut completely right through to the filling. Utilizing the same pastry brush, brush the milk along all of the score marks (this can keep your phyllo from flaking up across the edges from the squares). Bake the spanakopita before the top crust is golden brown, 35 to forty-five minutes. Let awesome until just warm. Eliminate the rectangles carefully across the score marks and serve.
Make Ahead Tips
You may make the cake as much as 4 hrs ahead. Keep warm, if preferred, or serve at 70 degrees.
Phyllo gets dry extremely fast and becomes brittle when uncovered towards the air. Take a look at our test kitchen strategies for dealing with it.