Ingredients Needed for Cilantro Lime Rice
- Long grain white rice – I like to rinse the rice first so the end result isn’t so sticky.
- Olive oil – used for sauteing, vegetable oil will work great too.
- Green onion – I like green onion here because it’s more mild.
- Garlic – love garlic? Feel free to add more.
- Hot water – of course cold water works too, hot water will just reach a boil faster.
- Fresh lime – only use fresh lime juice for best flavor.
- Salt – I like to use about 1/2 tsp but I don’t like things very salty so adjust to taste.
- Cilantro – only use fresh cilantro here, dried would give it an entirely different flavor.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rinse rice in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear, drain well, set aside.
- Saute aromatics: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute 30 seconds.
- Boil water: Pour in water, 1 Tbsp lime juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook rice: Add rice and spread even. Reduce heat to low, cover with a snug lid and let simmer until water has been absorbed, about 18 – 20 minutes.
- Rest off heat: Remove from heat and let rest, covered, 10 minutes (or up to 30 minutes).
- Add fresh flavorings: Stir in cilantro and remaining 1 Tbsp lime juice. Serve warm.